Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 10, Month 2 The Diabetic Food Stamp Project

My teachers in the Middle East would be proud of the whole grain flat bread I am making. Complex carbohydrates, with a great flavor and texture. It turns out the wok is the perfect baking stone.

The pomegranate perfectly seeded would also make them proud, the ham however...Many Muslims have a problem with ham.

Anyway.

Breakfast was awesome save the coffee. I could not get my really good coffee at the 99 cent store, they had no more. I got the next cheapest and it is a touch acidic and bitter so I will likely get some cream or milk to soften it, further driving up my cost.

Coffee .12
Ham mayonnaise .60
Bread .09
Pomegranate .50
Total 1.31
Carbs 40 grams

At lunch I had a cup of the Bean soup with the other half of the sausage, along with some of those tortillas with a touch of melted cheese.

Soup with Sausage .65
Tortilla with cheese ..45
Iced tea .03
Carbs 40 grams
Total 1.13

I got in a good workout and as usual came home hungry and heated a cup of congee to sip while I cooked.


Broccoli, rib tip chow Mein.
Rib Tip .95
Broccoli .25 (chinatown)
Onion .15 (not on sale this week)
Noodles .35
Carbs 46 grams
Total 1.70

Looks like I kept the budget under control, kept carbs under control and upped my nutrition a bit.

Day Total 4.15 out of a potential 6.13. I can carry over 1.98.

Not a bad day.

It takes a lot of time and effort to eat well on this budget, even without the difficulties of health issues. Add in diabetes or congestive heart problems and you will have a real tough time.








No comments: