Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Living as a Diabetic, a new attitude


The people who live with diabetes have no choice but to eat well, or lose their health and possible their limbs. It's that serious.

Today I set out to make a breakfast that falls within guidelines and would be satisfying. I have one.

Spicy Sausage bowl
Serves 2
4 ounces of spicy sausage, breakfast or chorizo.
1 cup pinto beans
Chili powder
Salt
2 eggs

Fry sausage and drain fat, add in the beans, when the beans are hot add in seasoning to taste. Slide two eggs on top and cover with a lid for about 2 minutes until eggs are poached. With a spatula carefully lift the bean egg mix and place in bowls. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with 1/2 cup grapes per person.

With coffee and milk this comes to just under 40 grams of carb per serving. 532 very satisfying calories. With carbs as 29% of the meal it all worked.

The BEST part. It tasted delicious.

You can have a BLT, you just have to watch your fat for the rest of the day. 28 grams of carbohydrate, but mayo and bacon do add in the fat. It was a wonderful lunch.

Really good tomatoes make all the difference.

While I have done well thus far there are a few things I can see I will have to watch. I have had two pork products, neither lean and not enough fiber. However my carb intake is what it should be, not too little and not too much and I feel more satisfied than I have previously. 

My snack while working was 1/2 cup of Jambalaya, loaded with chicken (and sausage) my ratio stayed fine as did my total carbohydrate intake of under 15 grams for a snack. However is was my THIRD cured meat of the day. My blood sugar will be fine but all these cured meats are connected to colon cancer and I have to cut back.

I made a phone call to a friend at 8:00 and got an impromptu dinner invite. The moment I finished work I ran over. Delicious food, but what do you do if you are served a carb heavy meal by friend?

Thus far I had consumed 79 grams of carbohydrate for the day.  And I was presented with a delicious bowl of Israeli cous cous with tofu, carrot, radish, and kale on a bed of lettuce, garnished with fresh fennel. How did I do?

By eating the vegetables and only 1/2 cup of the cous cous I added a slight 30 grams of carbohydrate to my day. I kept my carbs at 34%. Then dessert was offered. A very small piece of chocolate (I passed on the sorbet at 25 grams per serving) I added 7 more grams of carb to my day, within reason but it was time to stop.

I clearly still have work to do. I kept my carbohydrate at an appropriate level but I made a few other mistakes, my nutrition was low as were my calories at 1,323.

I want to encourage diabetics to share recipes that taste great and work for you.

Tomorrow is another day.



2 comments:

Mirabai said...

It doesn't look like you are going to be able to maintain your weight with all these low calorie days. While it might be true that for most type II diabetics, weight loss will be helpful, you are not overweight.

It's silly, but I worry.

Karl said...

A couple of pounds I can lose.

Say I was short 600 calories per day for twenty days, that would be 4 pounds.

Not a big deal.

And there are days like yesterday when I ate quite well.