Friday, May 18, 2012

Final day...food stamp/Diabetic challenge

 

I have an extra 2.71, that with my 4.35 gives me 7.06 today.

And thus I had an opulent breakfast.

2 eggs .40
2 Rye Toast .40
4 slices bacon .76 (I got cheap bacon)
Cup of strawberries .50 (Bless the street vendors in NY.)
Total 2.06

I feel so good. Sharp, energetic and ready to take on the world. All because of a good breakfast that any food stamp recipient might want but could not have without making reductions from other meals. 38 grams of carbohydrate and 500 calories. I could use coffee but unless one of the people I am seeing today offers me some it is not on the agenda.

I had soup for lunch. I bought 1 lb of soup bones with some actual meat attached. They stewed and stewed and with a lot of salt became some kind of broth. I added a handful of spinach and 1 oz. of rice noodle.

Worked for me...but I am hungry again and it is only 3:30.

Bones .99
Rice noodles .20
Spinach .39

Total 1.58

I see my tiny surplus melting away.

Dinner was a pear and endive salad. I killed my surplus realizing it was the last day. of my pledge both on the food stamp and diabetic diets.

Pear .89
Endive 1.89

Total 2.78

...and yes at 12:01 a.m. I ate again. A bowl of pasta with fresh tomatoes. I thought I could eat a lot of it, but managed only a few bites with a glass of wine.

Before the pasta only 781 calories with a poor ratio.

Can you live as a Diabetic on a food stamp budget and get both adequate nutrition and calories? Probably not.

Protest the upcoming cuts in programs like this. Demand extra funding for those with medical conditions. WE ARE the United States, the only power the politicians have is the power we give them. 

And do come up to Harlem on Saturday the 19th. I will be blogging and twittering live at the site.

 

No comments: