Sunday, April 22, 2012

Living as a Diabetic Day 4

I woke up craving bread. I wanted to dive into a baguette, toast it and slather it with butter, and have that along with a big plate of fruit. For me, not an uncommon breakfast.

I went back to when I did the food stamp project in July/August and looked at my percentage of carbohydrate. I often exceeded 50% of the calories in my diet with carb and I was eating less fruit because of cost.

I reigned it in and had a small portion of my quinoa salad along with on Lavash and some of the leftover chicken finely chopped with an onion and some mayo to make a nice spread. Of course my coffee with half and half. I came in with a safe 50 grams of carbohydrate and just over 600 calories.

I am fatigued with this after 4 days, imagine if you will, what it would be like to do it every day for the rest of your life. Diabetics not only count carbs and limit food, but constantly test blood, many take insulin; not an easy life.

At lunch I had a slice of ham. That was followed by 1/2 cup of pasta with clam sauce and spinach. The entire serving was just under a cup, I didn't want to risk too many carbs and going out of proportion.

When I got home from work I was hungry so I made toast and cheese and had it while I sauteed the oyster. I had the oysters with my glass of wine and followed those 5 plump morsels with a small bit of dark chocolate and a very ripe pear.

1,825 calories. While it does not seem like much I went slightly over my carb ratio they were 35% of my caloric intake. My total grams for the day were 164. According to my dietician I was never in the danger zone but I need to eat a bit more during the day. The meal to meal balance was slightly off.

My nutrition was largely good but it is a good thing I take a vitamin as well as extra C. I did badly with C yesterday.

No comments: