Friday, September 2, 2011

Mushroom Carbonara


After a few days of eating the simplest, easiest foods I realized that I was really not eating enough. While broccoli, nectarines, tomatoes and cucumbers were good for me.

How do I put this gently. I have reached an age where one has to choose between the face and the waist. While doing my ear hair check (yes men do this, some of us obsessively) I realized that I was looking a little haggard. Time for a pasta.

I didn't want bacon, so I created a vegetarian version of this classic.

This recipe is for one or eight servings. Just add more of each ingredient per serving.

1 cup mushrooms
1/4 sliced onion
1 egg
1 ounces grated Parmesan
Black pepper
A little salt
Pasta water
Olive Oil
2 oz pasta (Fettuccine is nice but any pasta you have will work)

Beat your egg and cheese in a small bowl. Grate some black pepper and add a little salt into the mix. Put your water on to boil and saute your mushrooms in olive oil. I like the mushrooms to cook way down and get a little brown on them, when they reach that point I add the onion and saute until soft.

Before draining your pasta reserve some of the water, it may be needed as part of your sauce.

Pour the drained pasta into the mushroom/onion mix and toss over heat until well blended. TURN HEAT OFF. If you leave it on you may scramble your eggs.

Take a few tablespoons of the pasta water and beat it into your egg mix. Gently begin to slowly pour the egg over the pasta and mushrooms and toss. Add more water if needed.

When pasta is fully coated, serve. More cheese can be added. A little parsley from the garden is also a nice touch.




7 comments:

brightonchef said...

hey Chef
sounds like a good carbonara (looks good too) likeing your blogs,pls check mine out
see ya

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh. I have been checking you since you began the food stamp thing and the ear hair/haggard face comment was great. All men nearing 40 know exactly what you mean and no one talks about this stuff.

Add me to to the chorus who think you belong on the Food Network.

cryptical said...

That looks delicious, I've never thought of a vegetarian carbonera. I'll have to give it a shot soon.

cryptical said...

That looks delicious, I've never thought of a vegetarian carbonara. I'll have to give it a shot soon.

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks great, but would like to know how much bacon and and what kind of mushrooms canned or fresh ? Thank you

Karl said...

No kind of bacon. It is a mushroom carbonara.

If you want a more traditional carbonara add one ounce of pancetta per person.

Fresh mushrooms if you can get them, if not then canned are fine.

Food Safety Course said...

Hey Chef Karl! This really looks delicious! My mom likes to cook Carbonara. I'll definitely recommend this recipe to her. Thanks!