Friday, July 29, 2011

Living on a Food Stamp Budget Day 29

I woke up SORE. The kind of stiffness that makes you hobble. So hobble I did into the kitchen where I wondered where my 4.09 would go today.

My nectarine was not ripe and I had no other fruit in the house so I made myself content with coffee and turkey fried rice with scallion.

Coffee .25
Rice Leftover
Turkey 1.00
Scallion (half the bunch).17
Total 1.42

For lunch I had only the leftover strawberry rhubarb pie.

I had a lot of running around to do. I am trying to get chefs to commit for the Cookathon on the 27th, so I was running around all afternoon doing my best to catch them when they were not overly busy. I got a lot of maybe and a few yes but no specific time commitment yet. Via e mail I hope to pin them all to a time before the press release goes out.

I won't say who, but one very well respected and rather brilliant chef had just opened a bag of Nacho Doritos and poured them into a bowl on his desk. We talked about our junk food moments and he invited me to have some and of course I did. What is the rule? I don't say no to free food. My health was not improved.

Pie and Doritos. Hmmm...the nutritionist in me is cringing.

Home and still mad sore from yesterday's class and workout I opened a bottle of the birthday wine. I am now sipping a glass of liquid painkiller; all the while thinking pie, Doritos and wine. What a day.

My widely publicized comments about McDonalds on the Huffington post got me a phone call from a local franchise owner. I now have an invitation to come to his McDonalds and taste as many things as I like. He wants me to see that the food is filling and delicious. I don't know if I can do it. I will think about it.I know that I say I never turn down free food, but the idea of eating this stuff makes me feel a little sick.

As to my dinner I blame the Gilroy Garlic Festival. I often have the radio on and all week the hosts have been talking about the Gilroy Garlic Festival. It is not in my budget to go there and gorge on garlic treats so I've no choice but to make them.

I made a pasta with garlic and oil and threw everything I had into it. The rest of the pea shoots, chard, parsley and basil from the garden along with the two small ripe tomatoes. Oh...and I used half a head of garlic...it was good.
Pasta .19
Garden Veg .10
Pea Shoots .50
Garlic .25 (.25 is the cost of a whole head but I used the rest a couple of hours later so have to pay the whole cost)
Iced Tea .03
Wine Birthday gift.
Total 1.07

But my eating was not done for the night. Popcorn with butter and it was GARLIC butter. (The cats dont' mind)
Popcorn .11
Butter .30

Total .41

Day total 2.90
Calories 1,900

I did okay...plenty of Iron, protein, Vitamin A, good E.

I carry over 1.19.


No comments: