Thursday, October 14, 2010

What's in your refrigerator?

Last night mine had precious little.

I had an unexpected dinner guest....it was just one of those things. We were having a glass of wine and chatting and I said stay for dinner without thinking what I had in the house.

I have been pushing myself to get a bit thinner, my life has been on the sedentary side so I am keeping my pantry purposefully lean.

A big salad was no problem and in the frig I had exactly two slices of bacon and some cabbage. In the basket onions and garlic and some spaghetti.

What emerged was a dish I plan to make again and again. It was so simple and so simply delicious I know I will crave it. 

4 cups finely shredded napa cabbage (4 cups uncooked)
2 medium onions one red one white, halved and very thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 strips of bacon finely chopped, fat reserved
4 oz. of spaghetti
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Crisp the bacon and reserve the fat, to this fat add the olive oil and saute the onions til creamy, then add in the garlic and cabbage.The cabbage will wilt and shrink to about 50% of it's volume. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook your pasta in boiling salted water and before draining reserve some of the water.

Toss the pasta in the cabbage and add just enough of the cooking water to make it blend well. Serve in warm bowls.

I served this with a Beaujolais Cru, which was turned out to be a great choice. Wipe all thoughts of  the Thanksgiving NEW Beaujolais from you mind. The Cru is a much more mature and finished wine.

The best news was that this lovely bowl of pasta was only 450 calories so I won't be needing those jeans with the elastic waistband anytime soon.

No comments: