Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ginger Lime Pork Belly


Currently I am staying in a tiny hotel room on the beach in a tiny town in the Dominican Republic. I have one skillet, one larger pot, two plates and two wine glasses.

I cut everything with a serrated steak knife and cook on a two burner stovetop.

That does not mean I am not eating well.

Traditionally when I have made pork belly I have done it in a Szechaun style with 5 spice rub and a slow braise. It takes a lot of prep and seasoning and I have limited ingredients in my little room. However I did come up with a wonderful and simple way to cook this awesome meat.


1 lb of pork belly (serves two to 4)
1/8 cup brown sugar
A good amount of salt and black pepper

Cut the belly into bite sized pieces and rub with the sugar salt and pepper mixture. Leave for one day refrigerated uncovered.

Brown the meat in a little oil and remove from the pan in the remaining fat we will make our sauce.

Juice of 3 limes
2 cups water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup of finely chopped ginger
1 onion sliced thin
1 clove of garlic
Some hot red pepper

Add the onion to the fat and when soft the garlic and ginger, then all of the liquid and hot pepper. Turn the flame to low and cover to braise.

Cook for about two hours, checking liquid level and stirring periodically. Uncover and let the sauce reduce to a glaze, taste for seasoning and serve with vegetables over rice. Succulent, fatty, tangy and delicious.

What more can one ask from life.

3 comments:

TerriLin said...

I bought my very first pork belly and I'm giving this a go tonight. Wish me luck! Thanks for the recipe it sounds fab :)

TerriLin said...

This was truly delicious and surprisingly uncomplicated. My plan was to make this while my husband and son were away for the day rock climbing, then I could eat the whole thing myself (not kidding). Alas, it was too much food and I ended up sharing it with them. I have another pork belly in the fridge curing; my first attempt at making bacon. Could be interesting. I'll let you know. Thanks a bunch for sharing your food and your stories Karl :)

Karl said...

I make bacon and pancetta all the time. It really is easy. Getting the smoking down for the bacon is the toughest part but once you have that figured out, it is no problem.