Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Springtime Pollock

In New York we are getting some great Pollock from the Alaskan waters, both fresh and frozen. What I really love about this fish vs. other white fish is the texture. It has a richness that lends itself to so many preparations. I had eaten it with an anchovy caper sauce, I had done it in a stew, and I wasn't feeling creative, but I had fish and a guest coming for dinner.

I went on Facebook and my friend Robert made a suggestion that became a recipe...it's really good, and if you are lucky enough to have fresh herbs you are really in for a treat. This is for two, but it can be easily doubled.

Salt and pepper two nice fillets and set aside.

1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
Splash of White Wine
2 anchovies cut into bits
A nice handful of spring chives
About a quarter cup of chopped parsley
1 teaspoon of butter
2 nice wedges of lemon

Barely cook the fillets in a nonstick skillet and place on warm plates in the oven. Get the skillet hot and place the tomatoes cut side down in the pan and cook for about 3 minutes until the skin just begins to shrivel, they may brown a bit. Hit with the wine and anchovies and toss around. Melt in the butter, as you toss int he parsley turn off the heat and spoon the sauce over the fish and top with fresh chives. Serve with the lemon.

Because it is California artichoke season I served these with artichoke hearts warmed in oil and garlic and sprinkled with Romano cheese.

If you have always been a cod or sole person...try a little Pollock. Trust me on this one.

No comments: