Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Olive Salad Pesto

I was hungry for the flavors of olive salad which for some reason I can't find in New York. At Zabars you can get anything from anywhere in the world, except Olive Salad from Louisiana. When I had The Country Club in New Orleans and was wiped out from my day with no energy to cook I would pulse some olive salad in the food processor and stir into pasta. The earthy salty combo gave me the energy to go on.

I am in the process of moving right now. I am surrounded by boxes and mess. I hate mess. I have been running from dawn to dusk, in negotiations for one apartment while the phone rings with something else I HAVE to see, so I do. Last night the tired had really sunk in.

Did I have Olive Salad in the house...NO, because I live in New York. So I assembled the ingredients I needed to replicate the flavors and made a frigging wonderful pesto out of the stuff I just have around. It was good enough to share. It easily made 4 servings, two of which I consumed. This in a week where I have not yet been to the gym. Go to the gym, and enjoy.

1 cup green olives
1/4 cup garlic cloves (no, it's not too much)
2 anchovies
2 tablespoons capers
2 sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup of olive oil
Juice of one lemon
2 oz. creamy goat cheese

Pulse everything in the food processor until you get a chunky pesto. Toss with a pound of fresh hot pasta (spaghetti is nice) and serve 4 happy people.

No comments: