Monday, September 29, 2008

Duck, Two Ways




Actually one fusion recipe that began as two.

I love duck and every style and cooking method I have tasted has had something to offer. I have tasted it in Vietnam (very fresh) France, Spain, and in Italy the most wonderful duck balsamica (I totally got that recipe, I watched a wonderful Italian lady in Peruga make it step, by step).

I got a Moulard at a Chinatown butcher and had him quarter it for me and had two thighs sitting in my freezer staring at me. Moulard has less fat than Pekin so won't stand up to the long roast but more fat than the Muscovy so it can't be served rare.

I took the two thighs and put them in a marinade of 1 cup dark soy sauce and 1 cup apple cider, and a big handful of star anise and let them sit for a couple of days. By Sunday I was sort of in the mood for German style with potatoes. Would it work with an Asian marinade?

All I could do was try.

2 Duck Thighs
1 Cup Apple Cider
1 Cup Dark Soy Sauce
1 BIG handful of Star Anise

Marinate for two days. The morning of the roast remove duck from marinade and put skin side up in the refrigerator uncovered so the skin will dry and crisp.

3 medium apples peeled and sliced
1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Cook the apple and onion in the oil until it is soft and pliable. Add a dash of salt and pepper.

Take your duck and a little peanut oil, heat a pan very hot with the oil and place the duck skin side down to sear, I put a cast iron skillet on top to push down and even the skin against the pan for a good browning.

While the duck sears place two mounds of the apple confit in a casserole and surround with new potatoes.Place the seared duck thighs atop the mounds and place in a hot oven (400) for 70 minutes uncovered.

Serve.

I like a lot of different wines with duck. Last night we paired it with a Chateau Petrus 2004, which is not the same as the world famous Petrus, but it is a very good, much more reasonably priced Bordeaux.

No comments: