Friday, August 22, 2008

Necessity Smoked Salmon Ravioli



Necessity is the Mother
of invention and I could
really use a Mother
right now.








I had an upper jaw graft, (old problems I did not take care of for a long time) and in many ways I am fine, but I look like I was the loser in a bar fight and I am not allowed to do any serious chewing or speak at all, for days. I must have as little jaw movement as possible. You can imagine how hard that is for me.

Egg drop soup, got tiring, veggies pureed in broth only go so far, while I love the peach tree out back there are only so many fresh peach and juice blends you can make before you need some FOOD.

The solution was to make up something satisfying that would literally melt in my mouth. Even for those of you who can both speak and chew, this is a great recipe.

The filling:
1/8 cup capers chopped in a food processor until they are about as big as a grain of kosher salt. Set aside.
2 ounces smoked salmon
2 ounces wild caught salmon (Farmed Salmon is bad for you and the environment, don't eat it)
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
a few drops of lemon juice
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Puree everything in the food processor except the corn starch. This should be a creamy mass the texture of a pate'. Remove to a bowl and stir in the cornstarch.

Lay down one wonton wrapper and dampen the edges, put a teaspoon of filling in the center and put another wrapper on top, press out all of the air and seal the edges, as you make them, set them aside, until you filling has run out. You will have a least 50 ravioli.

The dipping sauce:
1/2 cup whole milk Greek or Bulgarian style yogurt.
1/2 sweet red onion
Juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Finely grate the red onion into the yogurt and stir in the lemon and pepper.

Now you are ready to cook your ravioli.

For 8 ravioli, I put a touch of oil in a nonstick pan and placed them in the hot oil until they began to brown and sizzle. I then poured on 1 cup of water and when it came to a boil I put on a lid and reduced the heat so they would steam through and be very soft. When the water was almost gone (8 minutes) I removed the ravioli with a slotted spoon. I drizzled with the yogurt and carefully slid them 1/2 at a time into my swollen and distorted cavity of a mouth.

Bliss!

Both the wrappers and the filling melted in my mouth in an explosion of flavor. I plan to make them again when I am healthy and again for a party.

I didn't eat all fifty.

I put a number of them in the freezer by laying them out on a cookie sheet not touching, freezing and then tossing in a plastic bag and squeezing out all the air. They will be great this way for several months.

No comments: