Sunday, April 20, 2008

NON Kosher Brisket aka Cholent with Yorkshire Pudding


The picture is not great. I just bought a new digital at Radio Shack and am still figuring out how to use it. I am so not a techie. Also this is not the prettiest dish. It tastes incredible however so I would encourage you to try it.

This recipe serves 4 to 6 with some leftover beans, which can be eaten as a side dish or made into a soup.

2 lbs well marbled beef brisket (If you can get grass fed, grass finished free range organic beef it will taste incredible and be good for you, otherwise Whole Foods carries grass fed, grain finished that is not quite as good. After the Jewish Holidays it goes on sale. I picked it up for 5.99 a pound. Get one with some good fat and marbling.)

4 cups chopped onion
2 cups finely chopped celery
1/2 cup (at least two heads) of chopped garlic
1 cup very finely chopped salt pork (see why it is not kosher, wait it gets worse)
1/2 cup diced carrot
2 ripe roma tomatoes chopped
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/2 pound of beans (I used the 16 bean soup mix but you can use whatever you have in the house, white beans are especially good, but really any combo works.)
Salt to taste
Olive and Peanut oil

Heavily salt the brisket on both sides.

Heat a dutch oven (with a tight fitting lid) over a big flame with olive and peanut oil. When the oil is very hot sear the meat on both sides. Sear to a crisp solid brown, approx 5 minutes on each side. Remove meat and add in the onion. The liquid from the onion will begin to deglaze the pan. Toss in the salt pork and let it crisp while the onions begin to brown, then the garlic til it's soft and finally the carrot, tomato and celery. Deglaze with a bottle of STRONG red wine, Malbec or Cabernet. Never cook with a wine you won't drink, but no vintage required. When the mixture begins to simmer stir in the seasoning, then the beans and add the meat back in. Fill the oven to the top with broth or water. Put the lid on and place in a 275 degree oven for 6 to 8 hours.

It's that easy. Go to a movie, clean the house, do some gardening, take a nap. Don't touch or check the meat, just leave it alone.

Yorkshire pudding/Popovers are an ancient recipe that can stand up to endless variations and always come out beautifully.

1 cup bread flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
3 eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil or melted beef or duck fat
A good dash of salt
1 cup heavy cream (or milk)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated

Turn the oven up to 375 (It won't hurt the Cholent). Mix everything together into a batter with the whisk and put in either muffin pans or small bread pans or a big pan. I used my mini loaf pans because it looks cute and it makes one huge popover. 30 minutes later they will be puffy and crisp.

I have tried the thing where you set the cholent aside and let it cool and try to slice against the grain and guess what...it always falls apart. Let it fall apart. Take some delicious melty bits of brisket and put them on a heated plate or bowl. Take a nice portion of beans and put next to it. Top with some sour cream ( I know meat with dairy) and some fresh parsley. Put your beautiful popover next to it and pour a glass of something really good. I chose the Monarchia Villanyi Cuvee Evolution 2001. Enjoy!

Bulletin: A savvy reader sent me this link to the 2003 Villanyi Evolution, It is available through select wines http://selectwinesllc.com/20vyvicuev.html I can't vouch for this vintage, but if you try it let me know.

This wine was originally imported by Monica Elling and unfortunately Monarchia was sold to Matt Brothers and they tend to import the lesser more American style Hungarian wines. Monica Elling is starting a new company so look for the truly awesome Hungarian wines at a store near you in the future. Kaptarko was one of the finest wines Monarchia imported and since Matt Brothers dropped it I have the feeling Monica will get her hands on it again.

3 comments:

Yanon Soume said...

I was raised Muslim and did not eat pork growing up. It is my favorite guilty pleasure now. I cannot wait to make your violation of the laws of both the Jews and Muslims.

Karl said...

I was raised Missouri Synod Lutheran where no food is a sin, but just about everything else is.

I grew up eating beef and chicken the two meats I eat the least of now. I am a big fan of lamb and pork and duck and goose and venison.

PETA for me means...People Eating Tasty Animals.

Unknown said...

I was raised guilt-free, so I'm happy to report I'll eat jsut about anything that moves, crawls, flies, swims, walks, slithers, or just lies there. And feel good about it.